Trolls have a high base health pool and deal heavy damage to players with early-game armor and equipment. They also deal significant damage to destructible objects such as rocks, ore deposits, and trees, as well as structures. Trolls spawn in two variants: one which uses a large log club, and one which can throw large rock projectiles at the player.
Strategy & Tips
- Troll attacks are relatively slow and easy to dodge by utilizing side-strafing and rolling. You should also be aware that they are capable destroying trees which can fall and harm the player.
- The Troll has limited mobility due to its large size, and cannot pass through narrow gaps.
- Trolls are weak to pierce damage and a bow & arrow is a particularly effective way to deal damage.
- A player using a shield with high parry power (bronze or better) might also consider parrying the troll, although this takes some practice. Players with end-game armor take minimal damage from troll attacks.
- If you pull the troll to the entrance of a dungeon like Burial Chambers, you can attack the troll while he runs around the entrance. When the troll is about to attack, move backwards to enter the dungeon.
- The unarmed Troll's ground slam attack is bugged and does two instances of damage. The first is the main attack, doing up to 70 damage unmitigated, the second deals 0 damage. This second damage instance allows players to stagger the troll by parrying with any amount of block power, even if the player can't parry all of the damage of the main attack.
|Item||0 Star||1 Star||2 Star|
- A one-star troll is red and a two-star troll is brown.
- Trolls have a 15% chance to spawn as a starred variant when 2000 meters away from the world center.
- While trolls can be found in a Troll Cave, not every cave contains a troll.
- Players can also use trolls to harvest resources they are otherwise unable to attain at their current power level. Trolls are capable of knocking down and breaking apart oak and birch trees with their attack. This is especially useful in the early-game for obtaining Fine wood without the Bronze axe. Trolls can also break copper veins and tin deposits, which can allow the player to get Bronze before killing the first boss Eikthyr.
- In Old Norse sources, trolls were assimilated to jötnar, the giants from Norse mythology. Only in later Scandinavian folklore did they appear as separate beings.
|Passive||Crow • Deer • Fish • Gull • Leviathan|
|Aggressive||Boar • Neck • Greyling • Greydwarf • Greydwarf brute • Greydwarf shaman • Troll • Ghost • Skeleton • Rancid remains • Blob • Oozer • Draugr • Draugr elite • Leech • Surtling • Wraith • Wolf • Drake • Stone Golem • Fenring • Deathsquito • Lox • Fuling • Fuling Berserker • Fuling shaman • Serpent|
|Boss||Eikthyr • The Elder • Bonemass • Moder • Yagluth|
|NPC||Hugin • Haldor • Halstein • Odin|