The Elder's Forsaken altar is located in Black Forests. His location can be revealed when visiting Burial Chambers and sometimes ruined structures around Black Forests, where a Vegvisir will reveal his nearest summoning location on the map.
He is summoned by placing 3 Ancient seed in his Forsaken altar in Black Forests. Like all bosses, the Elder can be resummoned as many times as desired, provided the required materials are met.
Attacks and abilities
Main article: Boss Strategies
The Elder has an environment aura that removes darkness and raining.
The Elder will raise an arm to the air to summon hostile Roots in a large area around a player, which can attack players in melee range but are otherwise immobile. Roots disappear after some time (or when the boss is defeated) but can also be destroyed.
|The Elder trophy||1|
|Swamp key||1 per player|
Mounting The Elder’s trophy upon his respective stone will allow you to claim his Forsaken Power. This ability will allow the player and nearby allies to deal 60% more damage to trees with an axe for a five-minute period.
Defeating The Elder affects the following events for that world:
- Disables: "The forest is moving..."
- Enables: "A foul smell from the swamp" (if Bonemass hasn't been defeated)
- Enables: "The ground is shaking" (if a Troll has died in the world)
Defeating The Elder unlocks several creatures to spawn at night in unusual biomes. They can only have 0 stars:
- Greydwarf brute in Meadows.
- Greydwarf shaman in Meadows.
- Draugr while it is "Misty" in Meadows, Black Forest, Mountain, Plains.
- Odin in Meadows, Black Forest, Plains.
- The altar provides a few hints on what items are used to summon him. First, the altar reads "Burn their young" referring to Ancient seeds. In addition, the top of the columns are topped by statues that look similar to Ancient Seeds in shape.
- Because of the Elder's location in the Black Forest, additional enemies such as Trolls or Greydwarfs may join the battle and increase the difficulty significantly, especially at night.
- The Elder's high-damage ranged attack can be effective in quickly gathering resources such as Wood, Core wood, Stone, and Copper ore, without the use of tools.
The many names of The Elder:
- In the game files The Elder is also known as "gd_king" as well as "theelder". Likely to be interpreted as "Greydwarf King".
- Warnings inscribed in a few of the runestones found in the Black Forest refer to The Elder as "the One Who Walks" once, and "the Old One" twice:
Beneath the ground, the roots of the forest twine together on a great loom. Pluck one thread and the whole weave will move. Chop down one tree and all the wood will know. Make yourself known to the One Who Walks, and he will seek you out.
Beware the Old One. The ravens say that in ages past he was a shoot of great Yggdrasil itself and a force of wisdom in the days when men and trees were friends. Now he scorns the axe and sets himself against the works of the Gods themselves. Odin banished him here for his pride but his roots are deep.
Seven were the creatures banished to this world by mighty Odin in the first days of his kingship. Seven gods and monsters too proud to bear his yoke. I have heard the tread of the Old Ones in the forest and have crouched in the shadow of the Mountain Mother when she flies. Of the others I know little. I will add to this stone when I have seen more.
|Creatures (View Template)|
|Passive||Crow • Deer • Fish • Gull • Leviathan|
|Meadows||Deer • Boar • Neck • Greyling|
|Black Forest||Greydwarf • Greydwarf brute • Greydwarf shaman • Skeleton • Ghost • Rancid remains • Troll|
|Swamp||Skeleton • Draugr • Draugr elite • Leech • Blob • Oozer • Surtling • Wraith • Abomination|
|Mountains||Wolf • Drake • Fenring • Stone Golem • Bat • Ulv • Cultist|
|Plains||Deathsquito • Fuling • Fuling Berserker • Fuling shaman • Growth • Lox|
|Ocean||Leviathan • Serpent|
|Boss||Eikthyr • The Elder • Bonemass • Moder • Yagluth|
|Spawners & Boss Minions||Rancid remains • Body pile • Root|
|NPC||Valkyrie • Hugin • Haldor • Halstein • Odin|