Lox are large and strong creatures found in Plains. They can be tamed which allows breeding and riding them. They have very low vision and hearing to the point where it's possible to sneak attack them without crouching.
They have high health and resistances against common damage types. Their melee attacks deal high damage.
|Anywhere in Plains||3||Uncommon||No|
|From breeding||4 within 20 meters||-||No|
Lox have extremely high health and damage output and are resistant to blunt and slash damage. Swords and maces deal minor damage to lox as a result, whereas arrows and spears are more effective. Due to their large size, Lox have trouble navigating narrow terrain and can easily be outmaneuvered by the player.
Lox are capable of attacking while swimming, making them a hazard to swimming players and boats. Lox have two attacks: a short range bite attack and an area-of-effect stomp attack which it will always use as its first attack.
As of the September 2021 update Hearth and Home a player can utilize a Lox as a mount. To do so first create a Lox Saddle, then equip it to a Lox by assigning the saddle to a hot key and using it while close to the creature.
A ridden Lox is a very powerful companion. In addition to retaining their impressive health and damage resistances a sprinting Lox is faster then even the most athletic player while also enjoying the benefit of not being slowed down by equipped Armour. A ridden Lox also completely ignores a players carried weight, able to move and even sprint while the rider is over-encumbered.
A mounted Lox has 240 points of stamina which drain at approximately the same rate as a players while sprinting, however leveling the Riding skill both increases the speed of a ridden Lox as well as reducing the amount of stamina drained. It is important to note that a Lox's stamina regenerates much, much slower than a players - one point is regained roughly every 4 seconds while the creature has been recently fed, and one every 10 seconds while it is hungry.
While it is not currently possible to utilize a players weapons while riding (trying to do so results in the player instantly dismounting as soon as the attack key is pressed) a Lox at full sprint is capable of trampling most other creatures underfoot, dealing heavy damage when it comes into contact with them.
- The name 'Lox' is a fusion of the words 'lizard' and 'ox', which reflects their design.
- The trader, Haldor, has a tamed Lox named Halstein that can be found in his camp.
- When close to a Lox, the player can see a status tag that shows whether they are 'wild' or 'tame' and whether they are 'hungry', 'happy', 'acclimatizing' or 'frightened'.
- Approaching a wild Lox will always frighten it and cause it to aggro the player. Like boars, they will continuously chase the player unless the player runs far enough away for the Lox to lose sight of the player.
- Lox meat has the same properties as serpent meat (except for the weight), and Lox meat pie has the same properties as serpent stew. As such, the Lox provides what is tied for the most overall stats-increasing food item.
|Passive||Crow • Deer • Fish • Gull • Leviathan|
|Aggressive||Boar • Neck • Greyling • Greydwarf • Greydwarf brute • Greydwarf shaman • Troll • Ghost • Skeleton • Rancid remains • Blob • Oozer • Draugr • Draugr elite • Leech • Surtling • Wraith • Wolf • Drake • Stone Golem • Fenring • Deathsquito • Lox • Fuling • Fuling Berserker • Fuling shaman • Serpent • Growth|
|Boss||Eikthyr • The Elder • Bonemass • Moder • Yagluth|
|NPC||Hugin • Haldor • Halstein • Odin|