There are a number of random events that can occur in Valheim. Most events are a hostile attack on players, announced with the event's message at the top of the screen and a red circle on the mini map, followed by lots of spawned enemies closing in to the players location. For an event to end, a player must stay in the red circle for a time. Leaving the red circle will put the event timer on pause until a player returns.
Events have a 20% chance of starting every 46 minutes if there is a player within 40 meters of at least 3 base structures (except for the "You are being hunted..." event which doesn't require player base). The event is randomly selected from available events.
List of Raid Events
Available events are based on which enemies have been defeated in that world and which biome the player is currently standing in. In the table below this is the Enabled by and Disabled by columns and the Biome column respectively.
Some events can be disabled permanently by defeating a boss, others cannot be disabled once they are made available (aside from console commands. See Global Keys for more info).
Creature deaths (boss or otherwise) are tracked per world, not per character.
|Event Name||Start message||End message||Creatures||Enabled by||Disabled by||Biome||Duration (Seconds)|
|army_eikthyr||"Eikthyr rallies the creatures of the forest"||"The creatures are calming down"||Boars and Necks||Start of the world||Eikthyr||Meadows or Black Forest||90|
|army_theelder||"The forest is moving..."||"The forest rests again"||Greydwarfs, Greydwarf brutes and Greydwarf shamans||Eikthyr||The Elder||Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp or Plains||120|
|army_bonemass||"A foul smell from the swamp"||"The smell is gone"||Draugr and Skeletons||The Elder||Bonemass||Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Mountain or Plains||150|
|army_moder||"A cold wind blows from the mountains"||"The cold wind is gone"||Drakes
(Also applies Freezing on the area)
|Bonemass||Moder||Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Mountain or Plains||150|
|army_goblin||"The horde is attacking"||"The horde is retreating"||Fulings, Fuling Berserkers and Fuling shamans||Moder||Yagluth||Meadows, Black Forest or Plains||120|
|foresttrolls||"The ground is shaking"||"The shakes starts to fade"||Trolls||Troll and The Elder||Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp or Plains||80|
|blobs||"A foul smell from the swamp"||"The smell is gone"||Blobs and Oozers||Bonemass||Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp or Plains||120|
|skeletons||"Skeleton Surprise"||"Skeletons are tired of fighting"||Skeletons and Rancid remains||Bonemass||Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Plains or Mistlands||120|
|surtlings||"There's a smell of sulfur in the air"||"The smell is fading"||Surtlings||Surtling and Bonemass||Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp or Plains||120|
|wolves||"You are being hunted"||"The hunt is over"||Wolves||Bonemass||Mountain or Plains||120|
- Enemies can spawn in any biome, weather or time of the day.
- Spawned enemies are always in the hunt mode (easier targeting, harder to drop aggro).
- "Max spawn" means the max amount and how many spawns are attempted when the event starts.
- "Suppression distance" is not listed as it is always 10 meters.
- Altitude is from 0 to 1000 unless otherwise mentioned.
|Neck||100 %||20 s||2|
|Boar||100 %||20 s||2|
|Fuling||58.2 %||10 s||8||Group 1-4 with 1 m radius|
|Fuling Berserker||47 %||20 s||2|
|Fuling shaman||47 %||20 s||1|
|Greydwarf||100 %||5 s||6||No suppression distance, group 1-3 with 3 m radius|
|Greydwarf shaman||100 %||5 s||1|
|Greydwarf brute||100 %||5 s||1|
|Greylling||100 %||5 s||4||No suppression distance, group 1-3 with 3 m radius|
|Wolf||100 %||2 s||6|
|Skeleton||100 %||10 s||20||At least -1 meter altitude, group 4-6 with 4 m radius|
|Rancid remains||54 %||15 s||1|
|Draugr||100 %||5 s||3||At least -1 meter altitude|
|Skeleton||100 %||5 s||6||At least -1 meter altitude|
|Drake||100 %||10 s||3||At least -1 meter altitude, 90 max tilt, 10 m offset from ground|
|Blob||100 %||2 s||5||At least -1 meter altitude, group 1-3 with 1 m radius|
|Oozer||100 %||10 s||2||At least -1 meter altitude|
|Troll||100 %||20 s||2|
|Surtling||100 %||2 s||4||At least 1 meter altitude|
These events are not signaled with a message onscreen or on the minimap.
- Odin Event: At night, if The Elder has been defeated, there is a low chance that Odin will spawn in the distance and stare at the player. He is neutral and will disappear in a puff of smoke if a player gets within 20 meters of him.
- Thor Event: During a storm there is a low chance that Thor will briefly fly across the sky, surrounded by lightning.
- Events won't trigger for players who are inside dungeons. Similarly being in a dungeon won't progress events even when inside the event circle.
- If an event is already running when a new one triggers, the previous event will automatically end.
- "Skeleton Surprise" is the only event that can happen in Mistlands.
- Base structures suppress spawns which affect where enemies can spawn during the events. Large coverage of base structures may completely prevent enemy spawning.
- The source of death for a creature is not tracked. Therefore, despite a player's best efforts to not kill a certain creature to avoid certain events, the environment (e.g. a Surtling walking into water) or a neighboring biome (Lox fighting a Troll) can unlock those events for that world.
- Event enemies spawn in "hunt mode" which makes them always alerted and also know where players are located within 200 meters.
- An event spawning Blobs and Oozers can't deal damage to structures, so players that close their doors are not in any danger.
- Enemies spawn 40-80 meters from players allowing them to spawn outside the event circle (96 meter radius), especially when standing near the circle edge.