Eikthyr is the first boss of Valheim. He takes the form of a large stag, wrapped with chains and with electrified antlers.
Eikthyr is summoned at his Forsaken altar, by offering 2 Deer trophies. Multiple Mystical altars can be found in the Meadows biome of each world, and Eikthyr (like all bosses) can be summoned as many times as the player wishes, provided that there are sufficient materials.
Attacks & Abilities
Eikthyr has three different attacks:
- A melee attack with his antlers (20 Pierce, 1000 Chop and 1000 Pickaxe damage).
- A ranged attack (15 Lightning damage).
- A large AoE attack (15 Lightning damage).
Additionally, Eikthyr has an environmental aura that forces darkness and removes raining.
The fight against Eikthyr is not particularly difficult and serves to test the player's understanding of the basic game mechanics. Players may want to be rested for the fight and have the best food, armor and weapon available. Eikthyr has no resistances to any damage type, so the player can use their preferred weapon.
All of Eikthyr's attacks can be blocked with a Wood shield. Hitting Eikthyr in-between his attacks allows the player to whittle him down in under three minutes. Alternatively, a bow and arrows can be used.
Defeating Eikthyr allows the player to craft the first pickaxe to begin mining ore to create metal tools, weapons, and armor.
See Eikthyr's Power.
Defeating Eikthyr affects the following events for that world:
- Disables: "Eikthyr rallies the creatures of the forest"
- Enables: "The forest is moving..." (if The Elder hasn't been defeated)
Defeating Eikthyr unlocks Greydwarves to spawn in the Meadows at night. They can only have 0 stars.
- Eikthyr is likely a reference to Eikþyrnir, a stag which stands upon Valhalla in Norse mythology.
- When Eikthyr's trophy is mounted on an item mount, he will sometimes say "So you were my death? You look so small and soft... Tell Odin he may have broken this form but the wilderness will never submit to his rules..."
- Eikthyr is sometimes known as "deer" in the game files.
- Eikthyr is susceptible to spirit damage, but there are no early game weapons with spirit damage to make use of this weakness. By the time that weapons with spirit damage are available, the player should not have any difficulty fighting Eikthyr anyways.
|Passive||Crow • Deer • Fish • Gull • Leviathan|
|Aggressive||Boar • Neck • Greyling • Greydwarf • Greydwarf brute • Greydwarf shaman • Troll • Ghost • Skeleton • Rancid remains • Blob • Oozer • Draugr • Draugr elite • Leech • Surtling • Wraith • Wolf • Drake • Stone Golem • Fenring • Deathsquito • Lox • Fuling • Fuling Berserker • Fuling shaman • Serpent • Growth|
|Boss||Eikthyr • The Elder • Bonemass • Moder • Yagluth|
|NPC||Hugin • Haldor • Halstein • Odin|