- 1 Damage Types
- 2 Details on Damage Types
- 2.1 Physical
- 2.2 Elemental
- 2.3 Terrain Damage
- 3 Pure
- 4 Creature Resistance Matrix
Damage in Valheim affects much of the core gameplay mechanics. Almost every entity, object, or structure utilizes this system in some way.
- Chop (Woodcutting)
- Pickaxe (Mining)
Resistances and Weaknesses (Tenacity)
Each Damage types is distinguished between levels of Resistances and Weaknesses for anything that takes damage. In combat, different creatures have different resistances and weaknesses so using the right weapon can make a big difference. Players can also acquire resistances and weaknesses against some damage types. See Resistance page for more information about the mechanics.
Below is a table for disambiguation. The Tenacity Tiers can be used as short hand to refer to these, if consistent wording or spacing is preferred. At the bottom of this page is a chart of creature Weaknesses,Resistances and Immunities.
|Resist / Weak Tiers||Damage %||Damage x||Tenacity Tier|
|Very Weak||200%||Tenacity 0|
|Very Resistant||25%||Tenacity 4|
Details on Damage Types
Physical damage can be blocked and is reduced by armor. Physical damage also causes staggering.
- From Player: Clubs, Fists, Ooze bomb
- From Creatures: Abomination, Boar, Bonemass, Fuling (Club), Fuling (Torch), Fuling Berserker, Fuling shaman, Greydwarf, Growth, Lox, Root, Surtling, Stone Golem, The Elder, Troll, Yagluth
|Resistant||Player:||Bat||Blob||Ghost||Growth||Oozer||Rancid remains||Skeleton||Stone Golem||Wraith|
- From Player: Arrows, Bows, Knives, Pickaxes, Polearms, Spears, Flesh rippers, Porcupine, Stagbreaker
- From Creatures: Deathsquito, Draugr (Bow), Eikthyr, Fuling (Spear), Leech, Moder, Skeleton (Bow), Stone Golem (Spike), The Elder
- From Player: Axes, Swords, Knives
- From Creatures: Cultist, Bat, Draugr (Axe), Draugr elite, Fenring, Fuling (Sword), Greyling, Greydwarf, Greydwarf brute, Greydwarf shaman, Ghost, Lox, Moder, Neck, Serpent, Skeleton (Sword), Ulv, Wolf, Wraith
Fire damage applies a Burning debuff instead of causing instant damage. The debuff lasts 5 seconds and ticks every second. Fire damage stacks by adding the new damage to the remaining debuff damage, and then recalculating the tick damage.
Fire damage from physical attacks can be blocked. Fire damage is also reduced by armor. Fire damage that gets reduced to less than 1 won't cause Burning.
|Very Weak||Tarred||Greyling||Greydwarf||The Elder|
|Resistant||Fenris Set Effect||Blob|
- From Buildings: Bonfire, Campfire, Hearth
- From Player: Fire Arrow, Torch
- From Creatures: Cultist, Fuling (Torch), Fuling shaman, Surtling, Yagluth
Poison (2 Weak 8 Resistant 17 Immune)
Poison damage applies a Poison debuff instead of causing instant damage. The debuff duration depends on the damage and ticks every second.
Poison damage doesn't stack. The previous debuff is replaced if its remaining damage is less than the new damage.
Poison damage from physical attacks can be blocked. Poison damage is also reduced by armor.
- From player: Draugr Fang, Ooze bomb, Poison arrow
- From enemies: Blob, Bonemass, Greydwarf shaman, Growth, Leech, Oozer
- Weak (1.5x): Cultist, Ulv
- Resistant (0.5x): Fenring, Greydwarf, Greydwarf brute, Greydwarf shaman, Greyling, Leech, Neck, Serpent
- Immune: Abomination, Bat, Blob, Bonemass, Draugr, Draugr elite, Ghost, Growth, Oozer, Rancid remains, Root, Skeleton, Stone Golem, Surtling, The Elder, Yagluth, Wraith
- Player sources of Resistant (0.5x): Root mask
- Player Sources of Very resistant (0.25x): Poison resistance mead
Spirit (3 weak 11 Neutral)
Spirit damage applies a Spirit debuff instead of causing instant damage. The debuff lasts 3 seconds and ticks every 0.5 seconds.
Spirit damage stacks by adding the new damage to the remaining debuff damage, and then recalculating the tick damage.
- From player: Frostner, Crystal battleaxe, Silver arrow, Silver knife, Silver sword
- Weak (1.5x): Bat, Ghost, Wraith
- Neutral (1x): Blob, Bonemass, Draugr, Draugr elite, Fenring, Growth, Oozer, Rancid remains, Root, Skeleton, Yagluth
- Immune: Players and all other creatures
Frost (5 Weak 5 Resistant 6 Immune)
Frost damage causes instant damage which can be blocked and is reduced by armor.
Frost damage also applies the Frost Effect debuff, reducing movement and turn speed.
- From player: Frostner, Frost arrow
- From enemies: Drake, Moder
- Weak (1.5x): creatures with Wet , Blob, Bonemass, Oozer, Serpent, Surtling
- Resistant (0.5x): Growth, Lox, Rancid remains, Root, Skeleton
- Immune: Abomination, Bat, Drake, Moder, Stone Golem, Wraith
- Player sources of Weak(1.5x); Players with Wet
- Player sources of Resistant(0.5x); Fenris coat, Frost resistance mead, Lox cape, Wolf armor chest, Wolf fur cape, Yagluth Power
Lightning (2 Weak)
Lightning damage causes direct damage which can be blocked and is reduced by armor.
Lightning damage also causes staggering and a lingering visual effect, but it doesn't deal any damage over time.
- Weak (1.5x): creatures with Wet, Blob, Oozer
- Player sources of Weak(1.5x);Players with Wet
- Player sources of Resistant(0.5x); Players with Yagluth Power
Terrain damage includes Chop and Pickaxe damage. Terrain damage is caused by bosses and bigger enemies. Players and most creatures are immune to terrain damage. Additionally terrain damage ignores armor.
Some trees and ore deposits require a minimum tool tier for them to take damage.
|Tier 0||Stone Axe||Draugr (Axe)||Eikthyr|
|Tier 1||Flint Axe|
|Tier 2||Bronze Axe||Abomination
|Tier 3||Iron Axe||Moder (Melee)|
|Tier 4||Blackmetal Axe|
Pickaxe damage is used effectively against Rocks, Stone Deposits, Ore Deposits, and Stone Structures. Players and all creatures, with the exception of the Stone Golem, are immune to this damage type. Sources and tiers are listed in the table below.
- Very Weak: Stone Golem
|Tier 0||Antler pickaxe||Lox, Stone Golem||Eikthyr|
|Tier 1||Bronze pickaxe|
|Tier 2||Iron pickaxe||Abomination
|Tier 3||Moder (Melee)|
Pure damage ignores all defenses and can't be mitigated in any way.
- Against players, once a DoT effect is received, it is too late to mitigate it by drinking a resistance mead.
- Against enemies, tick damage will always show as white, even if they are weak or resistant to the damage.
- Drowning: 5% of max health per second (rounded up).
- Smoke: 2 damage per second.
- Water: Vulnerable creatures (Surtlings) take 10 damage per second while standing in water.
Falling further than 4 meters, you take 6.25 Pure damage per meter; capped at 100 damage. For example; bearing in mind a wall is 2 meters high:
- Falling from a height on top of 2 walls deals no damage. After that each wall-height causes 12.5 damage.
- With a player's starting health of 25, falling from the top of 4 wall-heights (8 meters) can be fatal.
- The actual damage taken varies on the exact height fallen, i.e; falling exactly 7.9 meters would deal 24 points of damage, and not be fatal.
- Bonfire, Campfire, Hearth: 10 self-damage when dealing damage.
- Falling out of the map: 99999 damage.
Creature Resistance Matrix
This table shows the damage multiplier for each damage type for each creature. This is from the perspective of the player, i.e. Lightning is not listed because the player cannot attack with it.
The default ordering of creatures is roughly in the intended biome progression and can be resorted back to this using the first column.
|Creature||Blunt||Pierce||Slash||Frost||Fire DoT||Poison DoT||Spirit DoT||Pickaxe|
- Deals neutral damage but useful when considering other resistances.